Blu (available at blucigs.com) is a very widely marketed brand and claims to be the #1 brand when it comes to electronic cigarettes. This is a pretty bold assertion, and one that requires looking into because of the possible repercussions for someone giving it a try. Clearly, the expectations that one has when first looking into Blu Cigs are:
- A comparable experience to smoking minus the negative effects of tar and other chemicals.
- A ‘true’ smoking ‘experience’ – this means your vaping (using electronic cigs is known as vaping because it gives out water vapor instead of smoke) will feel the same as smoking.
- A small size – comparable to that of a real cigarette (this is of course necessary to actually get the same ‘feel’). This is actually something that should be high on priority list if you’re looking for a realistic smoking experience.
- A long life, low cost, and ease of use.
- Acceptable social usage if needed (like in an airplane where smoking would typically be banned).
Blu does a commendable job of ‘selling’ one on these claims, so lets get right down to the nitty-gritty.
The first thing you do is head over to the Blu Cigs site (blucigs.com) and get the starter kit. The starter kit for blu IS cheaper than most others (than any others actually) and is remarkably cost effective since you get 25 cartridge pack with it – that’s equal to about 375 real cigarettes – and you can get a new one of these for only $25, so yeah, $25 for 375 cigs is a steal. The starter kit also includes an ingenious charging pack. This is, in my opinion, one of the ‘coolest’ part of the package – the cigarettes can be charged while in the pack, so you don’t misplace the e-cigs as much (like I used to), and it looks stylish at the same time! So far so good!
Battery, Packing, Appearance
The next immediate thing you notice is the appearance of the cigs. They’re, true to the claim, the smallest e-cigs I’ve seen. The e-cig is essentially composed of just the battery, and the atomizer that plugs into the cartridge that in turn delivers the nicotine solution (or the solution that you decide to go with). Each battery use should last about a day (depends on your smoking/vaping habits really). Of course, this isn’t a big issue at all, because with Blu, you just put your battery back in the Blu pack like you would store a cigarette in its pack and it gets charged! You only need to charge the blu pack once every 4 to 6 days (again, depends on how much you smoke/vape). This is EASILY the longest lasting battery system ever – and it’s quite a shock when you try a different e-cig again to realize you don’t have this luxury.
The Blu cig comes in both black and white, and lights up a sweet-looking blue color (hence the name) when you ‘drag’ (puff on it). I personally like the black color, but the white color is just as good looking. The blue light is actually a blessing since people can clearly see you’re not smoking a traditional cigarette – which results in much lower requests to stop smoking
The Main Point – The Hit!
Blu, as you can see on their site, comes with various flavors, and amongst the various e-cigs, it is one of the best tasting ones. HOWEVER, you want to understand something – e-cigs in general are EXTREMELY sensitive, and I’d say Blu is amongst the most sensitive ecigs out there. This means that instead of a ‘hard and heavy’ drag, you want to inhale very lightly. The taste is great, and it feels strongly on your throat, which is what you need for the best vaping experience. I’d venture to say that most people who give Blu Cigs a shot, will likely never consider a different e-cig again! Just remember to drag lightly and for a longer time instead of heavily.
The one major issue I’ve found with Blu electronic cigarettes is that when you first start using it, you realize that you’re really not getting all the liquid in the cartridge. This is because of how the cartridge is structured – there is a small tin foil that your atomizer pokes through to get to the liquid. The problem arises when you shut push the battery part into the cartridge only lightly. The atomizer doesn’t go through the foil very well, and results in a small amount coming through. Instead, shut it with a little force (not much force, just slightly more than average), and twist the battery part in a couple of times (think of shutting a pen and just twisting the cap a couple of times). This pushes the atomizer through cleanly…in fact, most of the time if you pull the cig apart after doing this, the foil will come off on the atomizer tip – so just take it off, and you’re good to go!
For anyone having issues with vaping with Blu, this is the easiest solution!
- Size and appearance – 10/10 – arguable the best amongst all the ecigs I’ve ever seen with the smallest size by far.
- Battery life, ease of use : 10/10 – The charging pack system is one of a kind, and makes this very easy to use, with one of the longest battery lives.
- Tastes – 9/10 - All of the flavours provided are very good, especially the coffee and cherry ones. The tobacco flavor though is not the best…at least when first trying it out.
- The Hit – 6/10 without taking foil off, 9/10 after taking it off – if you get rid of the foil that covers the cartridge completely, this is one of the best ecigs out there. With the foil, the effects are a lot lower.
- Value - 10/10 – For the price, Blu is easily a great option, especially when you consider the secndary purchases. As opposed to other cigs, you can get replacement parts like Atomizers, Chargers, batteries, and more at $10 each. Typically these run a lot more for other companies (which is one of the ways they make their money – sell a cheap ‘upfront’ kit, then make a killing on replacements).
All in all, you want/need e-cigs? Blu is a GREAT option – one of the very best for most people today – both because of the great pricing, as well as the extremely high quality!